Angry Birds Epic Review
- Publisher: Rovio Entertainment Oyj
- Genre: Adventure
- Released: 12 Jun, 2014
- Size: 628.3 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Approachable turn-based strategy combat
- Wonderful presentation
- IAPs give you an edge but are not required
- A little lite on tactics
- Not much to involve genre fans
- Speeding up crafting with IAPs changes the difficult curve
As a strategy RPG Angry Birds Epic feels a little light, but as an RPG gateway for Angry Birds fans it'll probably do the trick.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
At this point the Angry Birds are more than just feathery projectiles in a physics puzzler. They have become icons that can leap into any medium they choose. Like Mario before them, their first step was into the world of kart racing, and now they have progressed to a strategy RPG with the turn-based Angry Birds Epic.
To keep things easy for genre first-timers, Epic does away with exploration of similar titles. Instead it adopts a map that will be familiar to free-to-play fans, with fights separated into stages on a set path. Unfortunately, while this does increase the pace, it washes out much of the story motivation that drives many RPG players.
Dropped into a medieval world, the birds have undergone a redesign for Epic. The presentation is beautiful, and a perfect fit for the new locale. The Red Bird, for example, is now suited in armour that allows him to fulfill his hard hitting melee role, while the yellow bird sports a natty wizard's hat and staff.
Battles are turn based. To attack, you simply trace a line from your bird to the nasty piggie when its your turn to attack. However, once you free the Yellow Bird things start to get interesting.
The magical Yellow Bird can use its turn to zap groups of enemy pigs with lightning, or, with a quick tap of the desired team member, use its powers to provide a shield that will shock attackers. Similar aggressive and defensive options are provided for each of your avian compadres, and learning how your three-bird squad's abilities work in tandem can completely change the flow of combat.
Rovio has provided several upgrades systems to mix things up. Plans for different hats and weapons can be found in the world. Crafting this equipment from items collected in-game, or bought through in-app purchases, lets you completely alter your birds fighting style.
Despite these additions though, the combat feel a little barebones once the novelty and presentation start to wear off. The fun is also undercut by an free-to-play model that seeks to claw cash from your purse by offering potions and perks to make the game easier. Refuse to pay, and your progress will be hampered, forcing you to fight the same fights over and over.
It is tough to judge Angry Birds Epic as an RPG fan. Like Pokemon it could prove the perfect gateway into a larger experience, but is in itself its a little light for genre enthusiasts. It a mechanically solid combat-RPG, but unfortunately, but a very not a deep one.
DescriptionUnleash the Angry Birds flock in a free turn-based RPG, and join a community of more than 85 MILLION players around the world!
Angry Birds Epic sends you on a sprawling adventure across the tropical beaches, frosty mountains, and deep dungeons of Piggy Island in hundreds of challenging levels. Collect and craft a huge arsenal of weapons, and wield powerful magic to defeat fearsome boss pigs and their many minions. Crush troublesome pigs in battle to win epic loot, craft ever more powerful weapons and level up your party. To victory!
● FIGHT hordes of enemies in turn-based battles. Use the powerful skills of your birds to lead your flock to victory!
● PLAY as heroic knight, mighty wizard, or helpful druid, and assemble the perfect party!
● LEVEL UP and master your birds to defeat mighty boss villains like King Pig, Prince Porky or Wiz Pig.
● CRAFT hundreds of weapons and magical potions! Improve your best equipment even further through powerful enchantments.
● COMPLETE rare equipment sets, and use them to unleash devastating power-effects in battle.
● CHALLENGE real players from around the world in the arena. Progress from wood to diamond league and carve your place at the top the leaderboards.
● JOIN limited time events to earn valuable upgrades and rewards! Follow the flock on Facebook and Twitter for news on upcoming events.
FOLLOW THE FLOCK
PLEASE NOTE: Logging into Game Center does not save your game data. To save your game progress in Angry Birds Epic, please sign up for a Rovio account or log into an existing one.
Angry Birds Epic is free to play, optional in-app purchases are available.
This game may include:
- Direct links to social networking websites that are intended for an audience over the age of 13.
- Direct links to the internet that can take players away from the game with the potential to browse to any web page
- Advertising of Rovio products and also products from selected partners
This game may require internet connectivity and subsequent data transfer charges may apply.
What's New in Version 3.0.1Just when you thought Chronicle Caves couldn’t get any tougher: We’re proving you wrong and digging a new one!
Only for the bravest-est: New Chronicle Cave 26’s swines may break your spines.. Or not! Are you up for the ultimate challenge?
Arena repair: A bunch of handymen fixed the banner and emblem issues, along with other Arena problems
Read the full patch story: http://bit.ly/Epic-301